Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Resisting Being One Dimensional

The last several weeks I have been on overload mode.  The problem, however, isn't that the workload increased, but my reaction to it had.  I hold dearly to the idea that we are to live lives of purpose, and for me that also means being multidimensional.  Like most, I have numerous roles and responsibilities. Lest, however, those come across sounding like less than they are, lets call them "gifts" and "opportunities" that we embrace.  Husband, father, grandfather, friend, neighbor, coach, employee, employer.  I embrace them all.  Humbly thank God that He would entrust me with them all.  I pray for wisdom, guidance, and perseverance in them all.

At times pressure from any one of these areas, say, the job, can be so intense as to be interpreted as an expectation to become one dimensional - beholden to that alone.  Can't let that happen.  I love my wife.  I love my family.  I love the opportunities that running and biking afford me.  I especially love the people I meet along the way.  I do love my job and strive to be the best steward of those responsibilities, and do appreciate all the benefits that come with it.  At the end of the day, however, it needs to be the end of the day.  After all, there is a trail calling or a group of cycling friends clicked in and ready to roll, and a family dinner waiting...

I think I said "I" about 37 times in those two paragraphs.  I hope, though, that you saw you in there as well.  May we all embrace our "gifts" and "opportunities", remembering the truly important, and live life large.

Press On friends!

No comments: